Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Let's get fundraising!!






Fundraising Tips by first year TR2E member Ellen Banthin



Fundraising… so many people would prefer to be boiled in oil than ask their friends for money!  Over the past 18 years, I have done marathon related fundraising for several different organizations.  (And raised 50k+ over those years.) I promise, fundraising can be fun, inspiring and rewarding!  

Some of my top tips!



  1. Start early!  Most people don’t donate right away. They need time to contemplate what you are doing. 



  2. Tell people what you are up to, rather than asking for money. Once you explain what you are doing, many will inquire, “Can I donate?”  or “I’d love to support you!”  People will be inspired by what you are doing and want to be a part of it.  



  3. Social Media is your friend! If you post on Facebook, be sure to include a picture and a brief message about what you are doing with a link to your fundraising page.  Every time someone comments on your post, respond!!  That pushes your message back “up” into everyone’s feed. People will see it again (and again!) and see who is responding to you.  If someone donates, thank them in the post.  Your friends will often be influenced by others' generosity!



  4. Email-it feels old fashioned at this point, but send a more detailed letter (with pictures) to EVERYONE you have an address for.  This can be a little more detailed, but most people won’t read more than a paragraph or two. Be quick and direct. Include a link to your charity and, of course, a link to your fundraising page. When I say everyone, I mean your friends, your dentist, your neighbors, your hair stylist, your kid’s friend’s parents, etc. You will be surprised by who responds. (I usually take people off the email list once they've donated.) 



  5. Send letters-yes, by snail mail.  Some people prefer a letter. You can print out a bunch, use color if you can, include Vermont Adaptive logo and/or a picture of you.  The key-here you can add a handwritten note. This goes a long way with older family members and friends you haven’t seen in a while.  People love to hear directly from you.  Be sure to include information on how to donate by check. The same people who prefer a letter may prefer to donate by personal check. Have them send it to you. It is much easier to keep track of offline donations if they go through you. (Also, see #7) 



  6. Contact everyone, in multiple ways, many times.  Often, people won’t donate for months, but will love to read your updates and follow what you are doing.  Eventually, they will donate!  



  7. Thank everyone who donates right away!  Email, Facebook message or hand written note.  Again, use your discretion as to what medium works best, but let people know you appreciate their generosity.  (Sometimes they will donate a second time!) 


One of my favorite things about fundraising is hearing from so many people from so many different areas of my life. It’s such a great way to connect, or reconnect with old friends or family members you haven’t heard from in a while. This year in particular, it is a great excuse to check in with friends and neighbors, have a conversation and share a bit about what you’ve been up to.  Good luck!! 



A bit about Ellen


We are thrilled to have first time team member Ellen Banthin join us!  She grew up in RI, but has lived in MA with her husband and two teenaged kids for the past 20+ years.  Ellen is no stranger to running for a cause, as she's run and fundraised for numerous charities at the Boston Marathon for 12+ years!! She ran the VT100k in 2008, and is excited to be running it again this year. 
 

"Running is something I have always done. As early as high school I was out running 5-7 miles several times a week, just because.  I played field hockey and ran track, but nothing compared to my addiction to running.  I don't know where the desire for LSD (long slow distance) came from, but it took hold of me in my teens and has never let go.   Certainly there have been years when I have run less, but running has pretty much always been part of my life.  When I see people I haven't seen in many years, one of the first things they often say to me is, "Are you still running?" I want to reply, "Am I still breathing????" but usually politely reply and say "Yes, what are you up to?" :)"

Ellen has been a fifth grade teacher for 26 years!  When she's not working, or running, she enjoys family time, reading, knitting, skiing, and riding her Peloton. Asking her about her goals for the VT100k, "A vertical finish is always my first goal!  In this case, my goal is to a.) finish and b.) in under 20 hours.  I would be thrilled with 15 hours"






 


No comments:

Post a Comment